Reviewed By: RAS NSW Legal
Review Date: December 2024
The Royal Agricultural Society of NSW recognises the importance of privacy and is committed to protecting the personal information you provide to us. The RAS complies with the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (“Privacy Act”).
- RAS Foundation Limited ABN 99 637 243 853; and
- Royal Agricultural Society of NSW ABN 69 793 644 351
- Sydney Royal
- Sydney Showground
- Sydney Royal Easter Show
- Australasian Animal Registry
The RAS is a not-for-profit entity with the principal aim of promoting, fostering and encouraging the development of agricultural pursuits. The RAS pursues this aim via the annual Sydney Royal Easter Show, conducting the Sydney Royal Fine Food and Wine Shows, and acts as a venue for the holding of events such as festivals, exhibitions, conferences, entertainment activities and functions.
The RAS also manages the RAS Foundation Limited which operates for the purpose of granting funds to education, sustainable agriculture and rural projects in accordance with the overarching framework of the mission, values and purposes of the RAS.
The Purpose of the Collection
The RAS will provide a ‘Collection Statement’ at the point of collection informing you of the reason why the information is being collected. The point of collection is usually an Entry Form, Mobile Application T&Cs, Registration Form, online via our websites or free Wifi provider or in person. The RAS may also collect your information via mobile device applications or other applications provided by the RAS or third-parties.
The information collected will be used for the primary purpose detailed in the Collection Statement, and any secondary purpose to which you have consented. The RAS will not disclose information for another purpose unless you have consented to the disclosure in the normal course of the service or goods we are providing to you, or unless it is required to be disclosed by law.
In some instances, the RAS uses contractors and suppliers to provide the service to which you have consented, which will require disclosure of your personal information to these third parties. We will endeavour to ask the third parties to be also bound by the Australian Privacy Principles, or if they are an international company, are bound by contract to adhere to the Australian Privacy Principles in order to protect the information.
Access, Amendments, Deletions, and Complaints
Telephone: (02) 9704 1111
Mail: RAS Locked Bag 4317, Sydney Olympic Park NSW 2127
You can request that your personal information be corrected or deleted. You can also request that your account be deleted. You may contact us at any time to request to opt out of any electronic, telephone or other form of direct marking. There will be an ‘Opt Out’ link at the bottom of each email.
The Privacy Officer will deal with all initial queries and complaints. If you are not content with the way in which our Privacy Officer has dealt with your issue or if you have not received a response within 30 days, and you wish to lodge a formal written complaint to the General Manager. The General Manager will provide a written response to you within 30 days. You may address the matter to: General Manager, Corporate Services, 1 Showground Road, Sydney Olympic Park, 2127.
If you are not content with the response from the RAS General Manager, you may wish to raise the issue with an external complaint body such as Office of Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC).
By email: email@example.com
By telephone: (02) 9284 9666
By post: Office of Australian Information Commissioner GPO Box 5218 Sydney NSW 2001
Types of Personal Information collected
The information you provide us may include:
(a) Personal information that is required in order to facilitate an application, purchase a product, use a particular service or participate in an activity.
(b) Personal information that is optional. This information is not required but will always be directly related to the RAS’s functions and activities. This information enables the RAS to improve or maintain the functions and activities we offer you.
(c) Sensitive Information that is required in order to process financial payments for example. This information will be kept only for the purpose of dealing with the transaction or matter.
Consent - You could be asked to confirm that you would like to receive updates or will agree to a particular activity. If all of the required personal information is not provided, then RAS might not be able to accept an application by an individual to participate in the competition. Where an application is made by a company entity, the company may provide the personal information of key employees or directors who are deemed to have consented to the release of their names and employment title as provided by the employer.
Pseudonyms – In circumstances where your legal name is not required, such as carnival update emails, you may use a pseudonym. However, in most cases your consent, payment or competition entry will require your legal name.
Use and disclosure of Personal Information
Different departments of The RAS uses information collected for different purposes, and you consent to your information being disclosed when necessary and legal to do so in order to provide the service or good that you require.
To protect from misuse or loss, the RAS takes all reasonable steps in each case to protect the personal information provided in different circumstances. Examples of use and disclosure are as follows:
1) Membership – RAS is a membership society and Members details are held securely. Your information will be used to send you direct mail for RAS publications (such as the RAS Times), or RAS related promotions, events, discounts to which you have consented. Information about links to
family members or commercial opportunities will be linked in your membership account, and details provided by other family members may be collected for junior and youth accounts.
2) Sydney Showground – Information is collected to contract with you for the hire of venues on the Showground. Information may be collected from suppliers or contractors who are providing services for the event being held. In order to run a smooth event, RAS will disclose information to other involved parties in order to efficiently coordinate the event. If you require any documents to remain confidential, please inform RAS staff and mark the documents clearly on the front page. Deposits and pre-payment of operational services are often required so we keep your financial information secure until the end of the event when the refund and settlement of your account can be made.
3) Sydney Royal Competitions – The competitions for the Easter Show and Wine, Dairy & Fine Food Shows will all require personal information to be collected in order to hold the competition, assess entries, create event timetables and schedules, to run the competition and provide prize money cheques to the winners. During the competitions your personal information will be listed in competition schedules and displayed on the internet. Winners of competitions may be interviewed and your details will be kept in the RAS archives and kept in the History Centre.
4) Sydney Royal Easter Show – In addition to the Sydney Royal Competitions held, there are many contractors, commercial exhibitors and carnival licensees who need to provide personal information in order for the RAS to contract with you. Most transactions require payment in which your legal name will be required. RAS will hold your information securely and restrict access to only those who are involved in the transaction. Your information may be disclosed to third party contractors or suppliers who need to contact you for Easter Show related services to be provided. Other Sydney Royal Easter Show collection, use, and disclosures of personal information may include applications, such as the Sydney Royal Easter Show or Carnival Fun Pass mobile applications which may be provided by either the RAS or third-parties. These applications are provided by the RAS, and used by attendees, for the purposes of (a) geo-location based navigation, (b) to provide offers or discounts and (c) for payment purposes.
5) Australasian Animal Registry (AAR) – The AAR database is held for the purpose of matching micro- chip numbers implanted in animals with the personal information of person who is either the legal owner of the animal, or the person who is responsible for the daily care and control of the animal. The AAR database is not a register of proprietary ownership. RAS will disclose this information to Councils, government agencies or animal welfare organisations such as the RSPCA, who are trying to re-unite the animal with its owner. Disclosure may also be required by law, to trace the owners of a dangerous dog for example.
The RAS shares both analytical information about usage of the free Wifi at the venue and Personal Information provided as a condition of use of the ‘free’ service to our commercial partners, venue hirer(s), commercial partner PMY (ANZ) Pty Ltd for the event (such as Cricket, AFL or music festival promotors) and our and our partners’ and hirer’s commercial partners; including their data processing service providers. The RAS contractually ensures that the sharing of data collected via the ‘free’ Wifi service is used, collected and stored in accordance with Australian privacy laws and regulations. The use of the data includes research into Wifi use at the venue, fan engagement and experience delivery and marketing, advertising and promotional purposes
7) RAS Foundation – The Foundation is the charitable arm of the RAS and requests for donations or details of fundraising events or projects may be sent to you. Personal details will be collected on paper forms and also through online procedures and held in a secure database. Third party agents such as Our Community Pty Ltd t/as Give Now are used to collect and process your data on behalf of the Foundation, their privacy statement is available on
https://www.ourcommunity.com.au/privacy. The details of scholarship applicants, including unsuccessful applicants) will be held for up to 7 years and will be sent details of other opportunities for scholarships or grants. The recipients of scholarships and grants may have disclosure of their name, suburb, career and educational information disclosed as part of the conditions of the award.
9) Third Parties and Cookies – The RAS use third party application tracking services such as Google Analytics and Inspectlet to help understand the use of our Services and Site(s).
The types of personal information collected in each RAS department or service is detailed on the following page.
|Membership||Sydney Royal Competitions||Sydney Showground||
|Carnival||AAR||Foundation||Guest Wifi Services||Corporate Services|
|Date of Birth||Yes||Yes||As Necessary||Yes||If Required||As Necessary|
|Postal Address||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||If Required||Yes||Yes||If provided via Social Media log-in||Yes|
|Occupation||As Necessary||Yes||Yes||As Necessary||If provided via Social Media log-in||Yes|
|Employer||As Necessary||Yes||Yes||As Necessary||If provided via Social Media log-in||Yes|
|Alternate contact for Health and Safety||As Necessary||Yes||Yes||As
|Bank Account||Yes||Yes||As Necessary||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Animals under your care||Yes||As Necessary||Yes|
|Password||Yes if on the portal||Yes||If provided via Social Media log-in||Yes|
|Drivers Licence (for working with children check)||Yes||Yes||As
|Details about your children/family||Yes if required||Yes if required||Yes if required|
|Alternate contact person for AAR animal recovery||Yes|
|If log-in from integrated social media, ed used for Wifi login then any consented data shared||Yes - for RAS App||Yes - for carnival Fun Pass App||If provided via Social Media log-in|