The Mission of the Royal Agricultural Society of NSW (RAS), as it has been now for over 200 years, is to shape the future of Australian agriculture and to continuously improve Australian produce to award-quality levels.
The RAS competitions serve to protect and ensure Australia’s bright, viable and ethically-sustainable future.
The Sydney Royal Alpaca Competition is internationally recognised and regarded as one of the most prestigious in Australia, attracting Suri, Huacaya and Fleece exhibits.
Sydney Royal Competitions are synonymous with agricultural excellence and underpin Australia’s growing agricultural performance and innovation. Competitions showcase producers from regional and rural communities, they create new markets, and establish industry benchmarks of excellence.
Sydney Royal Judges are experts in their respective fields, recognized nationally and internationally for their knowledge of product and knowledge of industry. The purpose and practical impact of high calibre judges means that a Sydney Royal win carries significant gravitas and credence.
Competitors at every level are encouraged to enter Sydney Royal competitions, and feedback from judges is given to winning champions and to first-time entrants alike. This is unique to Sydney Royal competitions and is a compelling factor that drives our entrants’ ability, excellence and product innovation.
A Sydney Royal win is a testament of achievement at the highest level, and recognises personal dedication, ability, uncompromising diligence, and good old Aussie passion and hard work.
Honouring the traditions of local agricultural shows and produce markets around Australia, the Sydney Royal Competitions celebrate heritage, award-quality, provenance, excellence and innovation.
A Sydney Royal award is synonymous with excellence and innovation and is recognized across agricultural sectors and industries as a hallmark of distinction. This prestigious accolade brands products and producers with the kind of merit that sets them apart from their peers.
There are some Sydney Royal trophies that are awarded annually that date back to 1911. Trophies such as the Hordern and Urquhart Trophies for cattle are the ultimate accolade in the cattle industry.
The range of trophies and awards offered by the Sydney Royal includes:
The RAS' most prestigious class of award, a Perpetual Trophy, recognises outstanding performance. Each Perpetual Trophy has been donated by an individual or organisation with a significant connection to the Sydney Royal or the particular competition field.
Awarded annually in the donor's name, a Perpetual Trophy symbolises tradition as well as achievement. The winner takes home a medallion as a memento of the award and their name is engraved on the trophy. The trophy remains with the RAS in its trophy collection.
Annual prizes are donated by supporters on an annual basis and come in a variety of forms, including cash or trophies. Supporters usually have a connection to the section or the particular class.
In addition to their prize, competition winners also have access to digital RAS Medal Artwork, which can be used on their promotional material, advertising and packaging to distinguish their product.
By donating a prize to winners in the various Sydney Royal competitions, prize supporters offer a valuable reward and incentive to competitors.
Prize Supporters of Sydney Royal Competitions enjoy such benefits as free entry to the Sydney Royal Easter Show and written acknowledgement in RAS publications and websites. The prizes they donate enhance the prestige and profile of the Competition and provide a tangible reward for the winners.
To become an integral part of the Sydney Royal Competitions and to join our Supporters Program, individuals may identify the section or class they would like to support, they can decide whether a cash prize or a trophy is more appropriate, and then contact the Prize Coordination Centre. Prizes can be cash, gift vouchers or annual trophies.
Prize Supporters can be individuals, clubs or associations. Most Supporters have an association or attachment to the class that they support. They may be past winners in that class or wish to encourage competition in that area.
Why enter the Sydney Royal Fine Food Show?
- Rigorous score-based evaluation, allowing you to compare your product against industry benchmarks
- Individual confidential product feedback on every Exhibit, provided by experienced Judges
- Opportunity to win a prestigious Sydney Royal award, demonstrating that your product has achieved a high level of quality and positive recognition from industry peers
Sydney Royal Fine Food Show award-winners are given opportunities such as:
- Access to the Sydney Royal Medal artwork for winning Exhibits. This artwork provides the winning producer with a distinct marketing advantage and can be used to enhance advertising, promotional material and packaging. To ensure easier consumer relatability, with industry consultation we have also developed our medal artwork to include the points achieved.
- Access to the marketing promotional kit to guide medal winners how to best make the most of their achievement.
- Opportunity to present and promote medal-winning products at the Sydney Royal Easter Show, an iconic international event attracting close to 800,000 visitors every year.
- Opportunity to be handpicked by Sydney Showground to supply your medal-winning product at hundreds of events that happen on site throughout the year, including at the Sydney Royal Easter Show
- Exhibitors of top Exhibits will be invited to participate in the President’s Medal Competition. Since 2006, the President’s Medal has recognised excellence in Australian food and drink produce with only the best of the best nominated to compete. These producers undergo a rigorous independent review of their business model to assess their social, economic and environmental impact both up and down-stream. It’s the triple bottom line audit that makes the President’s Medal Award the most unique and prestigious in the Country.
Our commitment to learning and development in the Australian Food Industry
The Sydney Royal Fine Food show is passionate about supporting the Australian Food Industry through learning and development.
The Royal Agricultural Society of NSW is a not-for-profit organisation that has been an influential force in the direction and development of Australian agriculture through competitions, education and events since its foundation in 1822. Today, through the Sydney Royal Fine Food Show, we are promoting and rewarding excellence in the Australian food industry.