JB Fairfax Award for Rural & Regional Journalism and Communications
The JB Fairfax Award for Rural & Regional Journalism and Communications is a prestigious national award that encourages and supports a young student who is passionate about pursuing a career in rural and regional journalism/communications upon graduation. The Award was established through a private donation from Mr John B Fairfax, AO.
This Award is an outstanding opportunity to gain a diverse range of practical experience at the coalface of rural and regional reporting, with three relevant internships that will provide a launch pad to a career telling the rich stories from country Australia.
The Award includes a $10,000 scholarship along with the following suite of internships providing practical work experience with:
- The Royal Agricultural Society of NSW (RAS) Media Team at the Sydney Royal Easter Show
- Australian Community Media at The Land Newspaper
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) in their Brisbane newsroom
Applicants for the Award must:
Be enrolled to study in any undergraduate or postgraduate courses of relevance at an approved Australian education provider including universities, colleges and education providers such as the Australian Film Television and Radio School.
Demonstrate an active interest in rural and regional affairs and in pursuing a career in journalism/communications upon graduation.
Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
Be aged 30 years or under.
- Complete the online application form and attach your resume and latest academic transcript.
- Submit an article, blog post, video or audio report of up to 600 words on a topic of your choice. Your piece may have been broadcast or published before.