Sydney Showground named Nation’s best in Banqueting & Catering at Meetings & Events Australia (MEA) National Industry Awards
Posted on : 04 May 2017
Wednesday, 3 May 2017
Sydney Showground is known for big experiences and now 'big wins' taking out top honours in the Banqueting & Catering category at the Meetings & Events Australia (MEA) National Industry Awards last night.
Peter Thorpe, General Manager Sydney Showground, said the award highlights the ongoing success and diversity of the venue which delivered some 294 events in 2016 through a vast array of gala dinners, conferences, exhibitions, sporting events inside Spotless Stadium
"Our Chefs, Catering, Event and Operations teams are exceptionally passionate about the produce they select, highly skilled with the menus they design, and unbelievably talented at ensuring results, time after time, at every event we host," Thorpe said.
"We have the greatest team of people, delivering the finest catering using the 'best of the best' from our Sydney Royal Award winners, to deliver unsurpassed event experiences for our customers," he said.
Hosting 1.7 million visitors annually, Sydney Showground's award-winning venue team prides itself on welcoming guests including 930,000 visitors at the recent Sydney Royal Easter Show.
The MEA Industry Awards recognise best business practice and excellence in the Meetings & Events Industry.
Applicants are judged on their capacity to plan and manage resources, activities, ability to deal with extraordinary challenges, financial performance and their impact on the Meetings & Events Industry.
The major event venue was also named national winner of the stand-alone MEA Corporate Social Responsibility Award acknowledging its contribution to Australian agriculture.
"Sydney Showground supports the Royal Agricultural Society of NSW's mission by helping to contribute almost $7 million annually in programs designed to assist rural communities and promote agricultural excellence," Thorpe said.
Last night's achievements amplify 12 months of victories across a number of major industry awards.
Sydney Showground Honour Roll
- 2016 Winner 'Corporate Social Responsibility' MEA National Award
- 2016 Winner 'Banqueting & Catering' MEA National Award
- 2016 Winner 'Banqueting & Catering' MEA State Final
- 2016 Winner 'Best Achievement in Venue Management' Australian Event Awards
- 2015 & 2016 Voted by fans as 'Best AFL Venue for Fan Experience'
- 2015 Winner 'Best Venue Team' EEAA Awards
Sydney Showground Fast Facts
- All revenue is invested directly back into supporting agriculture and rural communities in NSW (Sydney Showground is part of the Royal Agricultural Society of NSW)
- Located in the geographic heart of Sydney with almost half of the city's population living within 30 minutes of Sydney Showground
- Offers more than 20 separate and highly flexible venues across the 30-hectare site
- The 22,000-seat boutique Spotless Stadium is home to the GWS GIANTS, Sydney Thunder and the Wanderers
- Has the largest air-conditioned and column-free space in Sydney totalling 29,300m2 across six primary exhibition halls
- Offers bespoke catering options from exhibitions and dinners for 100 guests to ground- breaking events for 10,000 people
- Constant investment in the venue has seen Spotless Stadium redeveloped, new exhibition halls built, significant Wi-Fi upgrades and installation of digital signage among other key initiatives
Further information, images and interview requests please contact:
Manager, Public Relations
T: (02) 9704 1453 M: 0478 092 425
T: (02) 9704 1041